Saturday, December 20, 2008

My First Column

Rant of the Day:
12 days freaking days, no not of Christmas, but of unemployment, a term that does not exactly produce favorable reaction within our current society. It’s usually associated with laziness, addiction, lower class and all that ish, but why is it that to be considered “successful” we somehow have to be strapped between the legs of 9 and 5 for the next forty years. I wonder, who is to decide the value of my labor? Who is to say that answering phone calls is worth 12.25$/hour? Mega corporations have fixed labors, bribing the public with health plans and benefits and all of that ish. Well maybe I am up to their sneaky plans of world dumbmination, maybe I’m at an upper subconscious level that is immune to their attempts of confinement into their material dependant world of consumerism. Yes!! I am freaking unemployed and what ? Well now that I have expressed my frustrations, let’s move on. :)
On a more serious note
The other day M (my love) and I attended a general discussion about interracial relationships. A lot of opinions and thoughts were shared and thrown around and people generally seem to be “accepting” the idea of interracial dating. The discussion was held at one of Canada’s most prestigious Universities, and needless to say that the brother n sister population was not exactly at a high level nor does it contain a more culturally rooted body. I am not saying that the crowd was filled with Betty Crockers and Uncle Toms, but it remained that I smelled and air of Condolesa Rices and Dick Chenies. However, the most refreshing part of the evening was when a young woman stated that very interesting point about how we are all identifying with African American culture as being our own. She added that racial tensions that have always existed with our southern neighbors is not and should not be taken into the same context as our own.
Think about it. Why is it that as afro-Canadians, we feel the need to relate to such different circumstances, I mean most of us immigrated here as opposed to being shipped. Although, the relationship between master and slave has surely left its scars to this day. Black women are less likely to be in an interracial relationship compared to black men, why is that so? Can it have deeper meanings and circumstances than the evident disinterest that we may suppose. Can it be associated to something more perverse and malevolent? Or is just that white men are just scared shitless of sistersJ.
M brought up an interesting point that here it is more of a difference of cultures than race. There always going to be an issue if each partner does not share the same culture, regardless if they share the same so called “race”. And that is actually the issue between M and I. Yes love is prevalent over all that ish but the issue remains, especially if we have children. Cultural identity is something that is imperative where I am from and that is one of the reasons I have not introduced M to my mother (it has been over 1year now). Yea I know I am awful but I ‘m scared shitless of her and her judgment. It will inevitably happen, but until then I will continue to seem as if I’m a 21 year old virgin that never had a relationship (not that it’s impossibleJ).
Speaking of Love,
and related issues, I presently feel drained. Have you ever felt like you are the battery that is keeping the relationship moving, and that if u die it dies? Yesterday was just so nice, after the meeting I went over his place and we watched Fresh prince with each a bowl of Yassa( a Senegalese dish) in our hands, we laughed and ate, It was nice. It was part of those of ahhh this feels good moments. But they seem not to come as often as hoped. I want more ahhhh. Disconnect is a word that I met a few months ago. He comes at different intervals and intensities, depending on the season I guess. I feel like I got to know disconnect more intimately ever since I realized that I am the unofficial energizer bunny, I keep going and going and going but I..will stop…one day.


No need to complicate,
Naya


No comments:

Post a Comment